Located in the former city of Etobicoke, Richview is a large, diverse neighbourhood that is home to people of a wide range of incomes and cultural backgrounds. Bounded in the west by Highway 401, the neighbourhood is predominantly residential with a lower proportion of immigrants than the rest of the city. There are no large commercial areas in the neighbourhood, but the Richview area includes a multitude of parks, shopping plazas and transportation routes.
The Richview name originated in 1852 when a post office called Richview opened in the area. By the 1870's Richview has its own school, church and tavern. However, the neighbourhood was more clearly defined in the 1880's when it was designated as School Section 4 in the former Township of Etobicoke. Richview has a proud farming background that dates back to the 1850's when farmers sold their produce at the St. Lawrence Market and the surplus of beef cattle to the Union Stockyards on St. Clair Avenue. In the 1900's farmers shifted focus to dairy farms in order to satisfy the demand for milk in the growing City of Toronto. In 1956 Richview's last diary farm was sold to developers ending the tradition of farming that lasted over 100 years in Richview. Reminders of Richview's rural past can be seem at 322 La Rose Avenue and 1671 Kipling Avenue.
The housing in Richview is predominantly single-family homes consisting primarily of ranch and contemporary style bungalows, split level homes and Georgian revival houses built during the 1950's and 1960's. Typically properties in this area feature 40', 50' 60' foot plus frontages with properties having a private drive and garages and with many residences backing onto prime ravine or park land. The street patterns are filled with winding roads and cul-de-sacs and include a handful of new townhouses and condominium projects along the main streets with a number of rental buildings and row houses located on the boundaries of the Richview area.